The best kind of exercise is exercising your right to vote!
Bold & Badass Fitness was founded on the idea of empowerment: from day one we started with the goal of teaching average folks the physical skills to feel safe and strong and ready to take on anything. But we also wanted to teach the mental skills that lead to feeling confident, capable, resilient, empowered and yes, ready to take on anything!
It turns out that all skills grow stronger with deliberate practice. When we exercise our abilities we reenforce and expand the realm of what’s possible for us– and that’s why voting is so important.
Voting is a chance to practice standing up for what you care about and exercising your autonomy. In the same way that exercising can improve your sense of self-efficacy while also making you stronger, civic engagement can lead to a greater sense of wellbeing and decrease the feelings of powerlessness in face of bureaucracy… and even make our democracy stronger.
- Because who we elect now will have an impact on our candidates in the future
- Because your vote COUNTS. Some races have been decided by only handful of votes. Truly, as few as one or two votes can actually swing a race. Yours could be one of them…
- Because other people can’t. Voter roll purges, gerrymandering, and other forms of institutionally sanctioned racism often prevent marginalized folks from making their voices heard. Your vote is a privilege than many are prevented from exercising. If you have a ballot, use it.
- Because if you don’t vote you can’t complain.
Here in Oregon…
- The Governor’s race is very close. Voting for Kate Brown would keep one more Trump supporter out of office!
- We have some really important measures on the ballot:
- 105 (if it passes, it will throw out a current law that protects Oregonians from racial profiling)
- 106 (which will restrict abortion access by limiting already-scare funding for this absolutely critical health service)
Voting is so important to us here at Bold & Badass that we’ll even reward you for doing it! From now until the end of November, you can save $20 off your first month of membership when you show an “I voted” sticker (real or virtual) or any other proof that you voted.
What are you waiting for? Go do it now!
IF VOTING DIDN’T MATTER, THEY WOULDN’T BE TRYING TO TAKE AWAY YOUR RIGHT TO DO IT.
— Brittany Packnett (@MsPackyetti) June 12, 2018